12.12.2008

Go where others will not

For the past year I have had a part time job working in the faculty workroom of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Besides having a quiet place to work on homework in between tasks, I have learned interesting bits of information from conversations with professors.

Today, Professor Biermann was talking about a website he had worked on of a group called International Crisis Aid.

It sounded like another non-profit that works with international issues such as human rights and poverty... right up my alley :)

So I looked at the website, and their locations caught my eye.

Afghanistan, Cambodia, Ethiopia, Indonesia, North Korea, Pakistan and Sudan.

Not the typical locations.

One of their vision statements is "Go where others will not."

It kind of inspired me - I want that to be part of my mission statement.

The kind of work they do is unglamorous. Dangerous. Kind of like the cross.

Hmmm...

Is it any surprise their vision verse is from Isaiah 58

"And if you give yourself to the hungry, And satisfy the desire of the afflicted, Then your light will rise in darkness, And your gloom will become like mid-day. And the Lord will continually guide you, And satisfy your needs in sun scorched land, and give strength to your bones; And you will be like a watered garden. And like a spring of water whose waters do not fail."

0 more thoughts: