7.22.2008

The Pulse.

With the paralysis gone from my literary endeavors, the most recent read has left the blood pumping strong from my heart to the rest of my body.

What could cause this sudden recovery?

“Terrify no more” by Gary Haugen (President of International Justice Mission).

For those of you who are passionate about human rights and social justice issues (which – Praise JESUS – many of you are) I highly suggest this book.

While I have read a few books/articles that are very descriptive and emotional about the horrendous atrocities that are going on it the world, this book targets sex trafficking specifically in the nation of Cambodia, also highlighting cases in Kenya, South America and South Asia.

Rather than dramatize the situation, Haugen does an incredible job of describing the world of the slums of Cambodia. The book details the story of how IJM first became involved, and brings the reader to see the intensity of the world involved of accomplishing their three-fold purpose in the sex-trafficking focus. (I am summarizing here)

 

1. Get the girls out.

·      The book focuses on the work they have done to get under-age children out of the brothels. Here Haugen talks about “the one” mentality. He takes the reader to understand how important it is to truly see each “one” girl that is rescued as a victory – for the kingdom of God. Each individual child is a child of the Creator God, and therefore is worth it.

2. Find aftercare

·      THIS is crucial in the rehabilitation of girls that have been through things no child should ever even hear of. Not only have some of the girls had to have intercourse with several thousands of men leaving them at risk to numerous STD’s… it leaves them with emotional scarring and self-esteem that amounts to seeing themselves as a possession, rather than a loved and precious child of God.

3. Seek Justice for the perpetrator

·      The system will not be penetrated if the girls are merely taken away. The men and women who are keeping them captive must see that this is something that is going to have dire consequences if continued. And so, they do whatever it takes in working with the government of the country in question to enforce laws that the country by itself has had a difficult time enforcing. For example, they have done immense work in partnering with the Cambodian government to crack down on those selling young girls: something which is already outlawed in the system, but for many reasons nearly impossible to enforce. Unless something is done.

 

 I have read the statistics before. Seen and heard stories of what is going on. A few things about this book have resonated, disturbed or encouraged me deeply…

 

Haugen talks about how many people ask “Where is God” when they see and hear of the incredible evil that is going on. After being in the middle of the scene of the crimes, Haugen has come to ask himself instead, “Where are Gods people.”

Where are we? I may be too hard on myself at the moment, but I get to a point sometimes where I begin to wonder.

Are we all talk?

Mostly talk?

We (the current college-age generation) are taking steps to “prepare” us for the chance to “make a difference”… and it is a weird place to be. How do we know that the opportunities are not all around us to be active now – and we are simply ignorant of them?

What exactly is the “difference” that we are trying to make?

 

I understand and believe whole heartedly that Jesus is calling us daily to live in surrender to him – as light and hope in even our southern California world where darkness is masked but everywhere. That does not change the fact that there are certain things that stir my heart.

The descriptions of 14 year old girls, who have grown up knowing nothing else other than how to “wear a mask” so that she will not be beat for not smiling enough for her customers pleasure.

The evil that is in this world in sickening. In talking with my dearest friend, we discussed why she found “The Dark Knight” so disturbing, to the point where she would call it a scary movie. The human mind and body is capable of much.

Batman is not inherently evil. It is a movie: purely entertainment.

But it makes a good, and even scary point… that there is a dementia of evil that I do not understand. We always hear that good conquers evil.

As a follower of Jesus I know this to be true! I believe it, have seen glimpses of it, and feel it deep inside of me. The Glory of the Kingdom can never be diminished.

Haugen quotes Edmund Burke when he said that “All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”

He gives the example of the Rwandan genocide, and reminds the reader that history is simply the story of yesterdays today (I am paraphrasing).

So today my friends,

I would like to hear… Or even just ask you to think with me as I ask myself…

What am I doing today to be a part of the Lord bringing justice rescue and healing to his children around the world.

 

Please keep the following people in your prayers:

Merrick in India (comes back on the 31st!)

Tyler in Ecuador (comes back on the 25th!)

The Kenya Team (comes back on Aug 4th)

Tim Buskey (comes back sometime in December!)

Rose Drive Rwanda team (leaves tomorrow)

International Service Projects

The Girls around the world that are crying out for hope.

Those at IJM that are using these lives to be a part of their rescue.

 

Here are a few pictures of Indian Life, courtesy of the incredible photographers Zack Ewing.



2 more thoughts:

Lyn said...

Hi
It's encouraging to read your post about Terrify No More, it is indeed ispiring to see God's people at work to pursue justice. You might also be interested to read Just Courage, Haugen's latest book (www.justcourage.com) that further seeks to stir people's heart for justice.-Lyn at IJM HQ

Phylicia Nicole said...

Justine,

I am enjoying skimming your thoughts and such. I like the summary about IJM stuff. I am blessed to hear about what they are doing. To think some of those girls sleep with THOUSANDS of women makes me angry and breaks my heart for them.
Ug.
Anyway, my blog is mainly pictures and random thoughts. But thanks for sharing.
Love you. See you soon!