7.16.2008

Breaking the paralyzation

Have you ever been in the middle of 3 or 4 books, but never mustered the desire or discipline to actually finish one of them?
I have been in this state of literary paralyzation for quite a season now, and would like to celebrate the completion of the first book (which I started last) from the list.

Somehow, "Peace Child" by Don Richardson, captured my attention and my heart for long enough to read the entire 25 chapters. It follows the story of the cannibalistic Sawi tribe in New Guinea, whose entire ethic system places heroic emphasis on characters such as Judas, with betrayal as a virtue. It goes into detail describing the story of how one "missionary family" (known by the Sawi as the Tuans) brought the message of the gospel. By following their journey from culture shock and misunderstanding, to the revelation of the redemptive analogy that the Lord developed deep within the Sawi culture it is beautifully written and faith challenging.

For some reason the style of books that I have been into over this past season has changed dramatically. 

The list still contains a few to be completed:
Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliot
The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard

And a few that I hope to start and finish:
Terrify no More by Gary Haugen
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

and a new recommendation from coffee with Jen today,
The Open Secret, and The Gospel in a pluralistic society both by Leslie Newbiggen.

BUT

As i have recently learned, the books that really have caught my attention lately are the ones that are the least expected, and so I humbly ask you my friends...

If you were to give advice on a book that seems worthy of making it to the "completed" list, what would you suggest?

Thank you, and...

pictures will come soon from recent activities :)
(As soon as I find my computer cord)

Much Love from my heart to you all <3

1 more thoughts:

Cinders said...

while it is not as theological as mr. willard, "what's so amazing about grace?" has got to be one of the best books of read. read it if you haven't.