10.12.2008

Working through the cringe

Politics.
For some reason, the very mention of it makes me cringe. Thinking about who to vote for, and which issues take precedence over the other. Wondering not how Jesus would vote, but what it looks like for us to pledge our allegiance to Christ, while appreciating and valuing the position we are given in this country to be a member of society.

So why the cringe?

I get intimidated: I don't really know what's going on.
Decisions scare me, even though my vote is only one, I do not want to put my voice behind something or someone that I do not believe in fully. Hmm... I guess that would be anyone other than Jesus Christ...
What scares me more than the decision?
The blur between our identity as "Americans" and "Christians."

Want some varied opinions?

Check out:
Jesus for President by Shane Claiborne
The politics of Jesus by John H. Yoder
Jesus wants to save christians by Rob Bell
Democracy Matters by Cornell West (whom I just discovered from Call and Response. "Justice is what love looks like in action.")

SO, as the election comes nearer there are a few questions I would like to ask :)

As a part of the kingdom of God, unattached to any political party...
Are we to vote on the candidate based on character or issues?
How are we to determine which issues take precedence over another (For example, legalizing current immigrants, or bringing an end to violence in Iraq)
What does the slogan "change we need" really mean?


A phrase that was used in the speech on the website of barack obama disturbed me in its context.
At the end he closes his incredibly well delivered speech with "hold firmly without waver to the hope that we confess"
Sound familiar? Yes, it is from Hebrews 10. Hope?
Not that McCain's slogans are much better, (although i did not hear scripture twisted in this one!)
To be continued...

But for now imagine a room full of people whisteling and clapping in excitement)
God Bless the poor and the oppressed.
God Bless the broken and the weak.
God Bless the Nations.

2 more thoughts:

rachel said...

we should all vote for jesus as a write in candidate.

Becca said...

oh justine, you never fail to challenge me :)