10.09.2008

"Missions" and myself part 1

Do you ever get to the point where your mind is focusing on so many different things that it is difficult to express any one of them in detail?
That is the mindset behind today's blog. 
And so I begin... not really knowing what will come out.

"Missionary" "Field Worker" "The Field"
Words most often used when referring to those serving overseas.
We know in our hearts that we have the same task "here" that we do "there"... so why do the terms still go on? What is it that makes the two places different, in our mindset, our words, our awareness and our dependence on the Lord?
In chapel yesterday, Dr. Mooney talked about the "decentralization" that happens when we become followers of Jesus Christ.
There are times when I get into a "rut." I find it difficult to be genuine with the people I love most. My head spins in circles until I become paralyzed at my current situation or circumstance.
When I accepted Christ and began to grow in the knowledge of and in relationship with him, the biggest desire of my heart was to know him deeper in a real way. 
When the cross is in view, I have found it impossible to think much of myself in the context of anything other than immense gratitude.
When I lose sight of it...
Everything becomes overwhelming. Suddenly life is "me" centered again, and the process of being overwhelmed begins all over again.
And yet I have found this to be ONE of the reasons I lose confidence and intentionality "here" that I had "there."

Quote for today:
"Discipleship means adherence to Christ...
Discipleship without Jesus Christ is a way of our own choosing. It may be the ideal way. It may even lead to martyrdom, but it is devoid of all promise. Jesus will certainly reject it."
(The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

1 more thoughts:

Becca said...

I love that you wrote about this right after our discussion. :) I appreciate you more than you know...