10.18.2008

Wednesday's Debate: A recap

This is a place where I can vent my feelings. Frustrations. Desires. Dreams.

A totally personal place of freedom and privacy (that the world can see…)

So here goes.

I don’t want to vote.

Tonight I joined the speech and debate team (and about 60 others) in Yeager A111 for a smashing discussion and viewing of tonights Presidential debate.

We decided several things.

If John McCain was an animal he would be a teddy bear.

If he was a planet, he would be mars. If Barack Obama was a planet, he would be mercury.

(Think back to the classics and their characteristics of the planets)

 

These were some thoughts that my friend (and resident!) Molly and I contrived while attempting to find relief from the nights events. Although humor was in plentiful supply in the form of McCain’s jokes/comments/jousts at Obama.

 

The issues themselves never actually got solved. There were a few things I noticed for sure that jumped out to me.

 

  1. McCain repeatedly wanted to be sure that Obama understood that he was not George Bush
  2. Obama is a fabulous speaker, resulting in the appearance of having the upper hand

 

The questions from the moderator were fascinating, including a question that pointed out that the plans of both candidates to lessen the deficit actually would increase it as a result.

 

While he could have been a little more involved in the conversation, the questions were definitely challenging and pointed towards relevant domestic issues, though they may have gone unanswered.

 

So the conclusion of this debate, and conversations held afterwards is this:

 

No matter who our country falls into the hands of, we will have “change” whether we like it or not.

3 more thoughts:

Cinders said...

thanks justine. i feel the same way. let's talk. like, for reals. :)

Aaron M. Williams said...

I miss debate team discussions...

dandyoyle said...

hey Justine, I feel the same. . kinda, i'm not sure you read my blog, if you haven't check it out. But i agree the presidential race is bit of a joke. I can't vote, being from Ireland, but if i could I don't think i would