9.04.2008

Slippin and a Slidin

So did you know...
I was just sitting here in the box... and i stumbled upon this headlining news on the BBC. "UN says wealthy failing the poor"
Immediately i thought of a few things.
1. Who are the wealthy? The wealthy of the United States or Europe as an International power? Or the wealthy within the specific countries themselves?
2. Wow that's a depressing headline... but why is it not shocking... 
3. It sort of seemed like the bad news that no one wants to hear but everyone is expecting. OR (to the average human rights aspiring activist currently enrolled in a number of Universities across the world...) simply discouraging. 
What exactly can be done, if the UN, the gathering of multiple nations, has not had success in making a grand dent in the issue of poverty?

The article ends with this quotation:
"Against a backdrop of gloomy economic news, food shortages and high fuel prices, the UN's argument that more should be done to help the world's poorest could be difficult to sell."

Many have heard about The One Campaign and the way that it has affected the effort to end world poverty. But when one has seen the deep rooted causations for poverty... the corruption of government, the misallocation of resources, the boundaries of the world of the wealthy, and the spiritual darkness and bondage... this article comes as no surprise.

Reading this article led to a link entitled "Can aid bring an end to poverty" which has a pretty good summary for people who would like a brief introduction to the main current problems in the world poverty and aid efforts.
It talks a little bit about two specific books which I have not attempted yet... but definitely recommend reading if you are interesting at all in economics, business, international politics etc.

"White mans burden" by William Easterly, and "The end of poverty" by Jeffrey Sachs. (He also has a new book new book out entitled "Rich Christians in an age of hunger: moving from affluence to generosity")

If any of you have read any of these books, I would love to hear your thoughts on these articles... even if you haven't, this is a discussion that needs to happen.

Interesting how these are not new problems. "Life has never been normal." CS Lewis uses this phrase in his discussion on war in "The Weight of Glory." I can't say that I have read the entire book, but in this section his message is that war simply brings to the surface the unrest that is continually going on within humanity.

In the article I first mentioned, one of the reasons attributed to the lack of effort and aid to the poverty crises was the growing economic struggles.

But I guess, that's the way it goes, right? 

We are all about humanitarian efforts - when we are in the green zone of safety...

Fortunately (or unfortunately - whatever you take is) as followers of Christ, there is a different way of life we are called to.

Where the "caring for our neighbor" and "suffering with those who suffer" will not always come at a convenient time. In fact, it may come at a time when we are weak, hurting, confused, or feel inadequate. The God of Creation knew it would be so. 1 Corinthians 1:20-31...

The thought that has been on my mind for the past few months, is that every gift of peace, every encouraging relationship, even every "lightbulb moment" or "realization" that "I" come to, is because of the grace of Jesus Christ to reveal it.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (Paul tells about the response of the Lord to the thorn in his flesh)

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

What a contrast to everything that is said to us by everyone around. Tired? Stressed? Overwhelmed with people (Amen)? Discouraged? Unmotivated? Waiting? I have found myself at pretty much all of these places over the past few weeks...

It is not for us to be strong but the Lord. In articles like these, it is easy to lose hope. Hope in man's efforts. Our purpose in social justice, and in caring for the poor is for the sake of the Glory of the Most High God. It is his compassion and his guidance that will bring progress, hope, and change to the developing world.

THERE IS A TANGIBLE WAY TO LIVE THIS TRUTH!!!

Nope, I have not even nearly figured it all out yet. But friends, we are in this together :)

SO, will the UN solve world poverty in the next decade or so? I cannot say I have a prediction that is even somewhat educated in its guess. 

So let's get educated. Lets meet the rising leaders studying in our country that are from those nations. Let's lift up our passion, dreams, and desires to be a part of something greater up to the Father who gifted us with them. He WILL accomplish his purposes. We won't always see how we are supposed to get to where we or going, or even where that will take us. What an adventure....

Kind of like the rush of a slip n slide, when you let yourself fall and slide. Which, I was unsuccessful in today. I couldn't seem to keep my knees from landing first. It was like a safety mechanism - my body would not let me fall. Oh that we may learn to keep our knees back, and let go of control!

Much Love my friends <3

0 more thoughts: