4.08.2008

Blessed...

To be a blessing. It is a theme found in Scripture and that holds true in every breath of creation. Yesterday marks the end of my 19th year of life... which means I turned 19. Strange, yes, but many traditions are! 

I have never really understood birthdays. In fact, I have often felt sad around my birthday because somehow I expected to feel appreciated more than is necessary. Honesty is brutal sometimes. It's bruises, contrary to their physical connotation bring understanding in their pain. The concept of gifts is something I also don't totally know how to address... I don't want to hoard them, yet everyone loves receiving presents!

As I am being refined, I am learning this lesson: If we are blessed to be a blessing, then even gifts that are given to us by humans also fall into this category.

I say this with excitement, but awe as I am only beginning to understand what this means.
Let's break that down with an example, too many lofty words in that sentence.

The incredible man that I am privileged to call my boyfriend got together 15-20 people who love me (friends and family) and purchased me a brand new macbook. I cannot say how overwhelmed I am that they are so sacrificing and loving... I spent the first couple hours just playing with it, enjoying the many wonders that come upon entrance to the apple family.
BUT - even this gift is for the glory of the Lord! I have just made the decision to become a graphic design minor (It is a huge need in the developing world, and non profits that work within it.) 
To group my thoughts together by the impacts they have had on my life...
1. A double minor in graphic design and global studies
2. A deeper understanding of the incredible friends I have been given.
3. Appreciation of my Father and little brother despite their humanity.
4. Frustration with the oppression that our world is saturated in... 
5. An opening of my eyes to the world of clothing and sweatshops. Join me on Friday if you are too....
6. A peace that even though I am overwhelmed, overcommited and stressed... the Love of God is ABUNDANT and my SUSTENANCE.
This was rather stream of consciousness style... Lo Siento mis amigos! As I grow as a writer, hopefully the readability will improve :)

Taken with the newest blessing in my life:
The wonderful man who put it together:

0 more thoughts: