4.11.2008

Bad news... good news.

Let's start with the good

After touring American Apparel's factory today in Los Angeles, I got to see first hand the incredible way that this company treats their workers. I would put a link to their website, but I am not a fan of the images that are on it... so if you are really interested, you can find it on your own. The workers have so many benefits, from free massages on the job, to a health clinic IN the factory! Also learned that every worker at an american apparel factory WORLDWIDE gets paid US minimum wage. They also control everything from the material that is woven to the products that are designed... so the whole process except for the cotton (which cant be grown in LA) is sweat free... this makes me wonder about the cotton, but that is for another day.

Now for the bad...

Provacative images. I asked about the images that they use in their advertising, and he replied with the following: They do all their advertising "in house." They use normal people, wearing the clothes as people normally would. They save millions of dollars. They want their customers to feel sexy... so they use images that make the models (who are either workers or friends of workers) look sexy...

Not sure how i feel about this, but i am definitely not excited about it.

The other reports of the day:

Good news: 
Merrick emailed me some websites and I have more good news. Here is another link to a site that shows stores around the United States that offer items that are made "free trade" and "sweat free." There are some sweat stores... from things to recycled flip flops, to clothes made with bamboo there are some sweet options :)

And the bad news:
Starbucks and Victorias Secret may be two of girls favorite places to shop. Good coffee and quality garments that matter most... Unfortunately I am not confident in either of these places anymore. 
Here is a story about Starbucks attempt to be "free trade" and an article about Victoria's "Not so sexy" working conditions... 

All I can say at the end of today... is the more I learn and get closer to a conclusion... the more questions that arise. I have yet to find answers to this huge issue which is becoming bigger in my reality every day.

1 more thoughts:

Justin Blomgren said...

I agree, I love AA clothes and what they're about...but the images are a bit too provacative..haha to say the least. Congrats on the Ipod tonight..thanks for everything you've been doing