7.16.2009

American Culture: The Democratically Confused Christian

Disclaimer: This is a very touchy subject, that I pray I do not sound judgmental in presenting. I mentioned in my previous posts that these topics would come from daily observations. This is merely my developing opinion which is doing exactly that - developing.

I do not mean in any way that all of American society is like this, nor that it is the most prevalent thought - however people that fall under this category are out there.

Observations Day Two: The Democratically Confused Christian

Definition: A misunderstanding of the difference between identity as American and as a Christian. One with this perspective may tend to be elderly and reflect the worldview of previous generations. 

Often feels strongly about one or more of the following issues:
The supremacy of America
Immigration Issues
The defense system
Terrorists
Their chosen political party as the only logical choice

The defining feature of those that fall into this category is the claim to represent a part of the church with their views.  The identity as American is simultaneous with the identity as Christian.

Again, this is an invitation for additions, comments and questions.


1 more thoughts:

Lavalamp said...

I'd say that is mostly accurate :)