5.10.2009

Check your... brake lights

My brake light has been out for a few days... or maybe a week or so. I know, i need to fix it - but its one of those things that just seems to slip out of my mind unless I am in my car. 

So tonight after dropping my brother off I promise my dad I will go to Kragen Auto Parts and get a new brake light.

Overwhelmed, I walked into a world where I could speak the same language yet everything seemed foreign. Cars confuse me.

A very nice clerk (Robert) carrying out the trash asked if I needed help.

Apparently my confusion showed.

After getting the make of my car, he said the total would be 649.

My head swirled, I called my dad to make sure I was getting the right thing.
He asked if I had enough money, and I remembered my extra loan money I had been given.

Sadly, I said yes - knowing that this was an emergency that this money was for.

He walked outside with me to take off my old light, grabbed a new pair from the store and another clerk rung it up.

"Six dollars even," he said. 

I felt like I had been tricked.

"Are you sure? I thought he said six hundred and forty nine dollars!" I responded.

They looked at my like I was crazy, but I could tell they were laughing inside. Apparently both clerks and my dad clearly knew that 649 meant $6.49.

I did not.

Lesson for the day: Brake lights are typically around 6 dollars. Not 600.

4 more thoughts:

rachel said...

hahah.

thats cute.

Anonymous said...

I just read Jordan this story on his way home from work... I think I would have made the same mistake. Glad to know there are more car novices out there.

However, I still laughed at you.

P.S. My name is spelled wrong on your "friend's list" :o)

Cinders said...

this is why i think your so cool.


well, just one of the reasons ;)

zuni said...

that makes me laugh a lot