6.22.2008

Still breathing

This is an official apology to my avid readers (of which there may be few!) to not capturing the thoughts of my South Asia trip in a blog as of yet! I wrote out these thoughts last Wednesday but had internet trouble… so here is the beginning of my return blogs!!

This has definitely been a much harder trip to process and to capture than I thought it would. I think, because it left me dissatisfied with quite a few things. There were some beautiful times, and some hard times, so I will list a few of each to begin to summarize...

Good: The chance to observe. There was so much about the culture and religion, that diving in would have been difficult without the perspective and chance to simply watch how to culture interacts with each other. 

Hard: The sickness.

Good: The Encouragement - for the local church by us, and for us to see the Holy Spirit moving in small but powerful ways.

Hard: The separation I felt from the culture. Not until the last few days did I get to meet some national friends that connected me to life in South Asia.

Good: My team! They are incredible individuals. We balanced each other out well as a mini representation of the body of Christ!

Hard: The materialism. It has consumed Western society, and has newfound roots in the upper and middle class of South Asia. How difficult to interact with those in the upper part of society, who are just as lost as those at the bottom. And yet my heart hardens towards the top, and breaks for the bottom. I found my human limits to compassion. It is only Jesus Christ, and a heart that seeks his own, that a compassion for all can begin to be formed. 

Good: The Word alive. Where scripture talks about idols... has come alive for me. It is an injustice to the one TRUE God, to have idols in existence and worshipped around the world. This is good not its essence, but in the revelations in my heart that are taking place. 

Hard: The Remains of the Caste system. The subjugation of women. The lostness and the darkness. The harshness that can all be summarized as the culture.

Great: WE WORSHIP THE MOST HIGH GOD! WHO IS GOOD! AND WHO DESIRES GOOD FOR ALL HIS CHILDREN! PRAISE GOD ABOVE ALL ELSE. HE IS MOST WORTHY AND DESERVES ALL GLORY AND HONOR AND PRAISE!!!

This is just a bit, as I continue to process these things. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be able to go and experience and learn. This trip has played a huge role in continuing to shape my heart to resemble one higher than mine... in all humility there was very little that I feel I did on this trip to benefit anyone. It is only Christ in me and in the church that can and WILL bring change to this earth. What will it be called? His Kingdom come. 

On a personal note: Merrick left for India yesterday. Keep him in your prayers :) He returns in exactly six weeks from tomorrow... hopefully the new job at Panera Bread will make the days pass quickly! Here are a few pictures to make your reading with your time J

1 more thoughts:

Becca said...

"It is only Jesus Christ, and a heart that seeks his own, that a compassion for all can begin to be formed." You could not be more right!

Sometimes I feel that I am going to cry because my heart is breaking for someone. And then later that day I pass by someone because I feel they don't even deserve that compassion. And usually someone on quite the opposite end of the spectrum. So, I somewhat know what you mean.

Miss you.