3.11.2010

We are responsible.

"The matter is quite simple. The Bible is very easy to understand. But we as Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly." - Soren Kierkegaard

Though I read it in Irresistible Revolution (by Shane Claiborne from The Simple Way these words have been running through my head. Not necessarily because of the premise that the Bible is easy to understand. In fact, as a Communications Major I have learned too much about the misinterpretation of ANY sort of text... But that's for a later post.

Today, what is sticking with me from this quotation is the obligation to act accordingly with the knowledge we receive.

As I come to the close of my undergraduate degree I think back on the things I have learned that have shaped who I am.

Introduction to Global Studies my Freshman year OPENED up my heart and mind to see the nations woven throughout scripture. The gospel is NOT to be kept in one people group, I learned. In fact, God blessed Abraham originally so that he would be a BLESSING to the nations. Why? So that the name of the LORD would be proclaimed to all nations.

I wrestled with God's desire for His own glory - and ended up in AWE of the grace he uses to reveal it.

The slums of Mathare opened up my eyes to see firsthand the effects of extreme poverty.

Learning that the homeless have names - in Mathare and in Riverside began the process of ISSUES becoming people.

New Delhi, India shocked me with its culture and taught me to love those I do not understand. I began to see the power of a story, and the deep spiritual darkness that can be broken with NOTHING aside from Christ.

International Justice Mission taught me at last year's Global Prayer Gathering that the most powerful weapon we have in the struggle against injustice, is coming before the Lord on behalf of others. Together: In community. Oh, and that we should stop asking "Where is God?" and begin to ask... "Where are God's people?"

An internship at the Orange County Human Trafficking Task Force revealed the web of human trafficking RIGHT next door. It EMPOWERED me to know that there are resources available for victims, but it is the responsibility of EVERYONE to keep their eyes open and REPORT things that look suspicious.

Of course there are many other things we learn every day that we are responsible for. And it does not seem like that trend will end any time soon. Today's information?

At least 200 North Korean Refugees to China are forcefully returned to the DPRK (North Korea.) Their whereabouts are unknown. Most likely they are sent to detainment camps. Those that do escape live in fear of being found. What a recipe for victimization. Women end up in trafficking, and have children who are born without a state to belong to. Abandoned, because there is no way to support them. It is illegal in China to adopt these children.

I also read an update on the situation in Morocco from the BBC.

Responsible for the information above, I hope that those of you who know me well have heard about these at some point or another. It may get annoying that I can't seem to find anything else to talk about than what I am learning...

But I... and now you... are now responsible for what we know.

If you feel like leaving a comment, I would like to know what you have learned that you now feel responsible for.

0 more thoughts: